Fri 21 June 2019 - Sat 22 June 2019 at Sydenham and Barking Show(s) at 8pmShow lasts approximately 2 hours, suitable for over 16s.
SPONTANEOUS PRODUCTIONS in association with PEN TO PRINT and KIRKDALE BOOKSHOP presents: POSTCARDS – 10 entertaining short plays inspired by real holiday postcards
About the Show
Who are the Russian spy and the sex addict? Did she survive the surfeit of boys? What exactly had Bob told him to do? These and other cryptic messages are the tantalising inspiration for ten playlets by new writers from north and south of the river. Will their imaginings solve the mysteries?
Come back to this page soon to read more about the individual playlets. Vote for your favourite play on the night and help crown one of the writers with ‘Best Play’.
JOIN THE COMPETITION | Would you like to create a playlet and have the chance to see it performed live? Join one of our Scriptwriting courses and explore your talent!WIN FREE TICKETS | In the meantime, test out your creative muscle on our #CrypticPostcards competition on Twitter and Facebook.
Spontaneous Productions has teamed up with Arts Council England-funded organisation Pen to Print, based at Barking Library, to stage this event. A brilliant opportunity for new writers to see their work performed by professional actors in front of a live audience, this is Spontaneous’ 12th short play event since 2011.
Producer/co-director Jonathan Kaufman says: “I’m very proud to have given so many emerging playwrights their first chance to see their work performed – writers from both my own and my sister Lucy Kaufman’s writing classes will take part in this event, so do come and support them and see the next Harold Pinter or Caryl Churchill’s first play on stage!”
8pm, Fri 21 June, Barking Broadway Theatre
8pm, Sat 22 June, Upstairs at the Sydenham Centre
Produced and directed by Jonathan and Lucy Kaufman
The plays & playwrights – TBA
Box office opens end of May
Photo credits: Mark Drinkwater
The Audience Reviews
What audiences have said about previous Spontaneous short play events:
- “The acting was great and the constraints placed on the writers in terms of time and lack of props created focus pace and interest. A great evening “ (Daniel Harwood, audience comment)
- “As a writer I was delighted with the interpretation of my play, and seeing it brought to life on stage in front of an audience was an incredible experience.” (Jane Walker, audience comment)
- “We thoroughly enjoyed Spontaneous Productions’ 600 Seconds event in July 2017. It was amazing to see such inspiring and original work from new local writers, sticking strictly to the 600 second / 10 minute limit. The writers cleverly crafted very imaginative drama and comedy, which made for a highly entertaining evening. Great fun!”
- “Great evening with fab acting”
- “All very good and the acting and directing was fantastic!!”