Sat 18 February 2023 at The Sydenham Centre Show(s) at 7.30pmShow lasts approximately 2 hours incl interval, suitable for adults only.
Tickets: Standard price £15, Pay a little more £20, Pay little less £10
Spontaneous Productions in association with KIRKDALE BOOKSHOP presented:
About the Show
An evening of short plays on the theme of love & heartbreak in the future. Performed ‘script in hand’ by a professional cast.
Our regular ‘scratch nights’ showcase new writing by members of our ScriptHub workshop and playwrights, the Siblings Kaufman, are always hugely popular. So to launch our Spring season 2023 and to mark Valentine’s Day week, we combined our two most successful strands – Love Bites, playlets on the theme of love and heartbreak – with 600 Seconds: Futureshock, seen last Feb, and exploring the impact of technology.
It was a highly entertaining evening of short plays that imagined how relationships might work (or not) in the future. From cloned housemates, to dating apps that bring literary characters to life, from a device that stores your dear departed’s consciousness, to a nightmarish reimagining of Blind Date via George Orwell, no subject was off limits. For lovers of Black Mirror and The Twilight Zone, Love Bytes: Futureshock brought you a startling vision of the world to come… So be warned!
Photos of Lovebytes:Futureshock 2023 by Mark Drinkwater
- The Afterlife by Alex Head
- And God Created Steve and Steve 2.0 by Lucy Kaufman
- Choices by Darren Bird
- Here Kitty Kitty by Janet Cost-Chretien
- Reader, I Tindled Him by Jonathan Kaufman
- Simon by Julian Kaufman
- Throwback Thursday by Jane Walker
The Audience Reviews
What audiences said about this show:
- “Well acted. Well written. Enjoyable.”
- “Brilliant. Revelatory. Thought provoking.”
- “Amazing – enjoyable. Really Funny”
- “Entertaining and inventive as always”
- “Humour with a sting in the tale!”
- “Just to say I really enjoyed the plays last night – and what a crowd you had!”
- “I thought yours was inspired and Oliver’s Heathcliff was hilarious. I also liked Julian’s play. The shock when ‘Simon’ walked in was priceless. The staging and costumes were excellent as usual.”
- “The show was great yesterday. Congratulations on your production. We always look forward to the next show, and appreciate all your skills as a writer, and your company.”
- Produced and directed by Jonathan Kaufman
- Assistant director – Alex Head
- Script consultant – Lucy Kaufman
- Costume designer – Jackie Poulett
- Photography/video – Mark Drinkwater
- Graphic design – Jan Warren
- Bar provided by Ignition Brewery
LOVE BYTES: FUTURESHOCK! – Saturday 18 February 2023Bookings for Sat 18 February 2023
Online box office for this show is now closed. There may still be tickets available on the door.