Fri 26 July 2019 - Sun 4 August 2019 at Sydenham and Barking Show(s) at Show lasts approximately , suitable for .
Be part of the show!
Have you ever wondered how shows are put together, where the magic happens? You can be part of this magic in the upcoming Alice show in Mayow Park, 26 July – 4 August.
It’s a promenade production, which means the action takes place in seven locations around the park, and the audience has to be guided along the route. As stewards, you will be very much part of the show, adding to the fun!
There are many reasons to volunteer, but here are a few:
- Our regular volunteers do it because they love coming together to make something wonderful happen.
- One of our main organisational values is accessibility – to make these events affordable for as many as possible. Volunteers make that possible by allowing us to keep ticket prices right down.
- If you are considering any kind of career in the Arts, this is exactly the sort of experience employers want to see on your CV.
- Volunteering on events like these is highly social; it’s a great place to make new local friends and contacts.
- It’s completely different from anything else you’re doing – and change is good for the brain.
- It’s always terrific fun and hugely satisfying! (And you see the show for free.)
There are several roles, and several dates – whether you can commit to just one day or to all eight shows plus two rehearsals, we want to hear from you! See the Nitty Gritty in the next column for all the details. There are two volunteer meet and greet gatherings in Mayow Park in late June, but if you have any questions or can’t make those dates, you can email us.
As the audience moves with the show around seven locations, we need people to be stewards, guiding the audience and making sure they’ve bought a ticket. (We’ll have wrist bands for people who’ve paid, and possibly a security person).
We also need people to be back-stage crew and box office volunteers, so there are plenty of roles to choose from. Even if you can only make one show, we’d still love to welcome you.
Here are the show dates (2pm-3.30pm):
- Friday 26 July
- Saturday 27 July
- Sunday 28 July
- Wednesday 31 July
- Thursday 1 Aug
- Friday 2 Aug
- Saturday 3 Aug
- Sunday 4 Aug
(There are no shows on Monday 29/Tuesday 30 July)
The times we need you to appear for each show are as follows:
Box office staff: 1.15pm-3.15pm
Back stage crew – assist actors, set up scenery, strike-down: 1pm-3.30pm
The two rehearsals (Wednesday 24 July & Thursday 25 July – 11am to 3:30pm) will be technical rehearsals and full dress rehearsals, and a good chance for would-be chief stewards to familiarise themselves with the show and for back-stage crew to go through their responsibilities.
How to sign up
We think this is going to be a lot of fun, and we’d love to work with you. We are holding volunteer meet and greet gatherings at Brown and Green’s café in Mayow Park where you can get a free coffee! The next is on Saturday 6 July at 11am. We hope to see you there when we’ll also walk you through you where the play will take place.
Hope to see you there! If you have any questions or can’t make the meet-and-greet dates, you can email us.